Today, another long-standing LIE comes crashing to the floor.
The M-4 would have us believe that Michigan State "can't handle success", and after winning a big game, the green-and-white revert to the "Same Old Spartans" and take a beating the next game. They never say that about UM.
NOT SO FAST, MY FRIENDS! New information from an old data-base has just been released by none other than our own "Return2Glory" (R2G). Responding in a comment thread to a column today by Bob Wojnoski of the Detroit News, RTG successfully refuted that worn-out old myth.
Turns out this is another example of how the tables have already turned. Instead of the SOS fairy tale, it's actually the S.O.W. ("Same Old Wolverines") who can't handle playing against MSU, regardless of whether they win or lose.
Enough words, let's get to the numbers. Here are the game results of the MSU Football team in the game following their match-up against UM:
- 2013 game after playing UM: Beat Nebraska, 41-28
- 2012 game after playing UM: Beat Wisconsin, 16-13
- 2011 game after playing UM: Beat Wisconsin, 37-31
- 2010 game after playing UM: Beat Illinois, 26-6
- 2009 game after playing UM: Beat Illinois, 24-14
- 2008 game after playing UM: Beat Wisconsin, 25-24
- 2007 game after playing UM: Beat Purdue, 48-31
Easy to see the trend-line, eh? The FACT is that MSU has won their next game after playing UM for the last seven years in a row. Seems like our Spartans have handled success under Coach Mark Dantonio, as they are undefeated in the games following the game against Michigan.
What about those wonderful weasels? Again, here are the numbers:
- 2013 game after playing MSU: Lost to Nebraska, 17-13
- 2012 game after playing MSU: Lost at Nebraska, 23-9
- 2011 game after playing MSU: Beat Purdue, 36-14
- 2010 game after playing MSU: Lost to Iowa, 38-28
- 2009 game after playing MSU: Lost at Iowa, 30-28
- 2008 game after playing MSU: Lost at Purdue, 48-42
- 2007 game after playing MSU: Lost at Wisconsin, 37-21
Upon review, it's the SOWs who can't handle playing Michigan State, as they are now 1-6 after playing the Dantonio-led Spartans.
It's the "old guard" of the M-4 who want to perpetuate the same-old/same-old when they write about Michigan State sports. Today it was Wojnoski, tomorrow it may be somebody else. They may not even be conscious of what they're writing or saying at times.Those folks are living in the past, which is their right, but it's not necessary that you join them there.
Tweet ------------- Remember to check Spartan Headline links, updated real time, at the bottom of the page (Web version only). -------------- Please click on COMMENTS below the post to enter and view reader comments. ***If you are receiving this post via automated email, ***you need to go to the site to view headline links and embedded videos in this post: http://spartanresource.blogspot.com/ (Web version only)