As we reported yesterday, the Spartan Women can win the league title by closing out the regular season with a victory at home on Sunday against Indiana. That game has a 6:00 p.m. tipoff time at the Breslin Center, and will be televised on the Big Ten Network.
The 31-point win over the Wildcats was the biggest margin of victory for Coach Suzy Merchant at MSU, and it marked the largest win in program history since beating Michigan by 43 points in 2005. That's the year Michigan State won the conference title and ran to the NCAA Championship game (losing to Baylor).
The Spartans won seven of their eight road games in the conference the past two months, the best traveling mark in program history. They have two tournaments coming up in March, with all games after Sunday on the road.
MSU continues to get great work out of a three-member Freshman class, featuring Aerial Powers, Tori Jankoska, and Brandy Agee:
- Powers had her seventh double-double of the season, tying for the second most ever by a Spartan freshman.
- Powers also broke the Spartan freshman free throws made record with 91.
- Jankoska broke into the top-10 on the MSU freshman assist list with 63.
- Jankoska also moved into 19th on the MSU career three-point field goal made list with 59.
- Branndais Agee had six rebounds, her most-ever in a Big Ten game.
The Spartans finished February with a 6-1 record, and are 39-12 under Coach Merchant in the month. MSU is 17-0 this season when shooting more free throws than its opponent.
Tweet ****** Click on NO COMMENTS (or # comments) below to enter and view reader comments. ----- Remember to check Spartan Headline links, updated real time, in the left column of SpartanResource.com (Web version only). *****Note: If you are receiving this post via automated email, you need to go to the site to view headline links and embedded videos in this post: http://spartanresource.com/ (Web version only). SIGN UP TO RECEIVE POSTS VIA EMAIL, TWITTER OR FACEBOOK IN THE RIGHT COLUMN.*****