MSU remains in second place, tied with Nebraska, but they can finish the season atop the league standings if the following events happen:
- Michigan State must win its final three games, two of which are at home, and all three of which are against teams ranked 7-8-9 in the conference right now.
- Nebraska must beat Penn State on Monday, or the Nittany Lions must lose their season finale to Michigan. Nebraska was the pre-season favorite to win the league, and the Cornhuskers are ranked #17 in the nation with a 20-5 record. That game will be played in Lincoln.
The Spartans are led by Seniors and Freshmen, with a collection of key contributors in the Junior class. Six players scored in double-digits against the Badgers.
The game was close until the final minute, as Wisconsin stayed within 10 points all game long. But MSU took a lead into the final five minutes and won, making them 98-1 finishing games successfully while defending a lead. The Spartans have won 49 games in a row when leading with five minutes to play.
Some other notes about Suzy Merchant's ballclub:
- MSU is 72-5 under Merchant when scoring at least 70 points.
- MSU's six road Big Ten wins this season ties for the most in Merchant's seven seasons. MSU is now 37-21 in her tenure in road conference games.
- The Spartans improved to 37-12 in February in Merchant's seven seasons.
- MSU is 16-0 this season when shooting more free throws than its opponent. They are also 14-0 when attempting at least 18 free throws.
Michigan State returns to action on Monday night when they host Minnesota at the Breslin Center.
Tweet ****** Click on NO COMMENTS (or # comments) below to enter and view reader comments. ----- Remember to check Spartan Headline links, updated real time, in the left column of SpartanResource.com (Web version only). *****Note: If you are receiving this post via automated email, you need to go to the site to view headline links and embedded videos in this post: http://spartanresource.com/ (Web version only). SIGN UP TO RECEIVE POSTS VIA EMAIL, TWITTER OR FACEBOOK IN THE RIGHT COLUMN.*****