- There have been eight (8) total games in which Dantonio has coached MSU against UM.
- Two (2) of those eight were Michigan wins, leaving no option for Dantonio to choose between sportsmanship and extra pounding. Another game was settled in overtime, again, leaving no room for end-game decisions about mercy vs. mauling.
- That leaves five (5) games in which the Spartans held a substantial lead late in the fourth quarter. Those games are listed below.
- 2008 - The Spartans take possession with a 14-point lead at the 1:07 mark of the fourth quarter. Dantonio calls three consecutive kneel-downs to end the game. (Michigan actually used a futile timeout during this series.)
- 2010 - The Spartans take possession with a 17-point lead at the 5:41 mark of the fourth quarter. Dantonio calls ten (10) consecutive hand-offs to Edwin Baker culminating with a kneel-down to end the game. (Michigan used all three timeouts during this series.)
- 2011 - The Spartans take possession with a 14-point lead at the 3:18 mark of the fourth quarter. Dantonio calls six (6) consecutive hand-offs to Edwin Baker to end the game, the last three of which were losses, suggesting that they were up-the-gut runs. (Michigan used a timeout during this series.)
- 2013 - The Spartans take possession with a 16-point lead at the 6:23 mark of the fourth quarter. Dantonio calls six hand-offs to Jeremy Langford, plus one handoff to R.J. Shelton to move the chains twice. The next hand-off to Langford goes 40 yards for the final touchdown. When MSU holds UM and gets the ball back with 2:09 remaining, and the ball in Michigan territory, Dantonio calls for three kneel-downs to end the game.
- 2014 - The Spartans take possession with a 17-point lead at the 3:40 mark of the fourth quarter, just after UM scored, made a two-point conversion, and tried an onside kick. Dantonio calls seven hand-offs to Jeremy Langford, who scores on the final carry. (A Michigan player is called for Unsportsmanlike Conduct on the touchdown play.)
SUMMARY OF FINAL MSU DRIVES:
- 31 hand-offs on basic run plays
- 7 kneel-downs
- 0 passes
- 0 timeouts
- 0 trick plays
Michigan really ran it up in 2002. See it HERE
Tweet ****** Click on NO COMMENTS (or # comments) below to enter and view reader comments. ----- Remember to check Spartan Headline links, updated real time, in the left column of SpartanResource.com (Web version only). *****Note: If you are receiving this post via automated email, you need to go to the site to view headline links and embedded videos in this post: http://spartanresource.com/ (Web version only). SIGN UP TO RECEIVE POSTS VIA EMAIL, TWITTER OR FACEBOOK IN THE RIGHT COLUMN.*****