- Schemp coached 21 seasons at UM. True.
- Schemp had 13 BT Championships. False. Schemp had 5 BT Championships and 8 Co-Championships.
- Dantonio has coached 8 seasons at MSU. True.
- Dantonio has 2 BT Championships. False. Dantonio has 1 BT Championship and 1 Co-Championship.
- 1969 - 11 Bowl Games were played.
- 1971 - NCAA went to an 11-game regular season. Prior to that, only 10 games were scheduled. The season was expanded to 12 games in 2006.
- 1972 - B1G Ten allowed teams to repeat in the Rose Bowl. Prior to that, teams could only go once every 2 years if they won consecutive conference titles.
- 1975 - B1G Ten allowed teams to participate in all bowls. The restriction of 1 B1G Ten team in just the Rose Bowl was lifted.
- 1976 - NCAA split Division I into IA (now called FBS) and IAA (now called FCS). The division was based on stadium capacity.
- 1982 - B1G Ten went to 9 conference games. In 1985, the conference schedule returned to 8 games.
- 1986 - UM played a 12th game under the NCAA provisions of the Hawaii rule.
- 1992 - Bowl Coalition was founded. A national championship was the goal, but it did not happen.
- 1993 - Penn St. joined the B1G Ten.
- 1995 - Bowl Alliance replaced the Bowl Coalition. A national championship was the goal, but it did not happen.
- 1996 - NCAA eliminated ties by implementing overtime.
- 1998 - The Bowl Championship Series replaced the Bowl Alliance and the first post season NCAA championship game eliminated championships by acclaim (i.e. polls).
- 2006 - NCAA went to a 12-game regular season.
- 2010 - B1G Ten changed the conference championship tiebreaker rules and included the BCS ranking.
- 2011 - Nebraska joined the B1G Ten. The conference split into divisions and implemented a conference championship game.
- 2014 - Maryland and Rutgers joined the B1G Ten. The conference realigned the divisions.
- 2014 - NCAA went to a 4-team championship series to determine the national champion.
- 2014 - 39 Bowl games were played, including the 3 bowls involved with the 4-team championship series
- 2016 - B1G Ten will go to a 9-game conference schedule.
|BCS Rank As|
- The UM-MSU game in 1971 was a non-conference game (UM won).
- The tiebreaker rules changed in the spring prior to the 2010 season. This change cost MSU the 2010 Rose Bowl trip; by the old rules, MSU would have gone. The vote was 10-1 with the sole dissenting vote cast by Coach Dantonio.
- The divisions and CCG implemented in 2011 cost MSU an outright BT championship. As a side note: Wisconsin was given the win in the inaugural BT CCG by a questionable call on an obvious flop.
- An oddity of the CCG/divisions format occurred in 2012.Wisconsin won and took the BT Title but had a 4-4 regular season conference record. That is something that never could have happened with Schemp.
Schemp had the easier road.
Part 1, The Evolution of College Football Rules.
Part 2, The Total Records. (coming soon)
Part 3, The Bowl Records. (coming soon)
Part 4, The In-conference Records. (coming soon)
Tweet ****** Click on NO COMMENTS (or # comments) below to enter and view reader comments. ----- Remember to check Spartan Headline links, updated real time, in the left column of SpartanResource.com (Web version only). *****Note: If you are receiving this post via automated email, you need to go to the site to view headline links and embedded videos in this post: http://spartanresource.com/ (Web version only). SIGN UP TO RECEIVE POSTS VIA EMAIL, TWITTER OR FACEBOOK IN THE RIGHT COLUMN.*****